Friday, October 29, 2010

THE FINAL DAY

Everyone has been asking if I am ready.  OF COURSE I AM!!!  Who wouldn't be ready for...
THE FINAL DAY OF CHEMOTHERAPY!!!!!!
Honestly, it was bitter sweet.  I have made so many life long friends there.  They are kind of like my old missionary companions.  I will probably never see them again, nor speak with them, but they are close to my heart all the time.  I love them.  They are some of my best friends because of the special bond that we share together.
There are so many people that I know deserve so much credit.  Tops on the list, of course, my beautiful wife, Miranda.  She has been my anchor through it all.  My family and friends, and those I don't even know that have been praying for me.  What an incredible support system I have had.  The doctors at Virginia Oncology Associates, the nurses (Noura in particular).  I have been so blessed.  The Lord Jesus Christ, before His crucifixion, told His apostles, "I will not leave you comfortless" as He promised them the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  Indeed, He has not left me comfortless!



Here is process that I went through for six months...


1.  I go to the "Vampire Cave" to get my blood taken by Laura and Jaime.  Always so happy.  I will always remember as I walked out from getting my blood taken, Jaime would say in her wonderful New York accent, "Be blessed."
  At the beginning of all this, they were able to take my blood without using the rubber tube because I had such great vascularity.  Well, as you can see, it's quite a different story.  I always bled fast.  I hope I never get shot!!

2.  I go to the back room, find a nice comfortable recliner and wait for Noura, my nurse.  She gets all the supplies, and then comes and sprays my chest with a very cold numbing spray so I don't feel the prick of the needles that are about to sit in my chest for two and half hours.  Here Noura is pushing the needle into my mediport.  Doesn't sound like fun, but I got used to it. 







And here is the end result.  That little yellow looking butterfly thing that some say is cute is the instrument they used to slowly kill me every other week for six months!  Not so pretty and sweet anymore!  But it saved my life, so you win some, you lose some.











3.  I quickly assume position - recline, blanket, relax.  Miranda and I usually played UNO during the first 45 minutes to an hour or so, and then all of a sudden, what you see before you is how I would spend the rest of the time.  It's so weird.  I would be totally awake, and then all of the sudden, in the middle of a conversation or a game, I am totally gone!











As Miranda and I walked out of the chemo appointment, I stopped in the middle of the parking lot, and with what strength I had, lifted my hands high in the air, and screamed at the top of my lungs, "I AM DONE!!!"



No comments:

Post a Comment