Saturday, April 24, 2010

MTC DAY 2010

Well, this is one of the highlights of my year! It took a little bit to get here, but it was amazing. Here's what happened...
Earlier yesterday, I met my oncologist, Dr. Lee at Virginia Oncology Associates in VA Beach. He came highly recommended, and now I know why. He is a great man; very kind, very smart, and empathetic. He himself has battled cancer.
When we walked out of the office (Miranda and my father came), things really started sinking in for me. I finally realized that I had cancer. Before, I think subconsciously that I just had a cold that would last a little longer than usual. But now that I had a game plan that involved chemotherapy treatments, I realized that this was more serious than the cold. So I got a little nervous. But Miranda was wonderful and comforting as we drove away.
And this is where we went...
MTC Day 2010
This is really one of the highlights of my year. I have been the Young Men President for about three years now. One of the activities that we have begun focuses on missionary work. We attempt to give the young men, ages 12-18, a taste of what life is like as a missionary. it's a challenge that produces great rewards for those who come prepared to learn and work (which I am happy to say most do).
We began last night at the church building with an introduction orientation of what was expected of the young men. The parents are invited to attend as we also listen to guest speakers. The speakers this year were the bishops of the two congregations in the area, Bishop Tim Nickerson and Bishop Greg Robertson (who happens to be my father in law). Their messages were inspiring, and the perfect way to begin the event.
After they were done, we invited the parents to leave, just like they would in the MTC, and the young men were left with us. They received a little more orientation, received their companionship assignments, and then we all went to my in laws home down the street to get ready for bed. While we were there, I informed the young men of my congregation, with whom I had spent countless hours over the past three years, of my condition. They were all very surprised, and supportive. They began immediately planning a pizza party when they would shave their heads in support of my new trial. It was very touching!
We began early this morning, just like the misisonaries. We woke up the boys at 6 am, and got them ready for exercise. After that, we all went back to the house, got ready for the day, did the breakfast thing, and the young men studied with their remaining time.
We then walked back up to the church and began the day of training. We had great classes planned with superb teachers. The full time missionaries taught the young men about Preach My Gospel, the manual they use to help them study and teach. President Ron Bennion, former mission president in Guatemala taught about the Apostasy. President and Sister Craig Merrill, former mission presidents in France, taught about the Restoration. My mother in law taught practical skills, ranging from hygiene to sewing to table manners. We then arranged for the young men 16-18 to go out with the full time missionaries and put into practice what they learned. They knocked on doors, they taught lessons, they visited with families. The younger boys stayed at the church, where we had volunteers come in and act as "investigators" so they could have a chance to teach and practice as well. After that, my dad came in as the keynote speaker to close the event Saturday night.
During the day's events, we were invited to attend a baptism for Carolyn Jentolf. She has had much exposure to the church, working for Debbie Ferguson (a wonderful member of our ward), and working with Miranda (obviously wonderful) and Lisa Bunnell, another great member. It was my sacred privilege to perform the baptism for Carolyn. It was the first time that I had performed a convert baptism since serving my mission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada from 2000-2002. And I was grateful that the young men could witness the ordinance they will be performing on their mission, and watch the covenant that they will help people enter into with God.
At the end of the evening, we had a special testimony meeting. The parents were invited back to witness it, as their sons gave report on the weekend, and shared their feelings of Jesus Christ. The following experience is what makes everything worth it. One of my young men told us why he came to the MTC Day. Before he came, he made God a deal. He would come to this event, and give his best effort. If he felt that what he was doing was right, then he would go on a mission when the time came. If he felt nothing in his heart, then he would not go on a mission, nor would he come to church anymore. With tears in his eyes, he said, "Brothers and sisters, I am going on a mission."
It was an amazing experience. For me, with the recent diagnosis, it was an escape. It was a chance to, once again, forget about myself and focus on someone else. It was also a great time for reflection. I believe that trials are given to us for many reasons. One of those reasons is to teach us to become who we can become. It is the opportunity to stretch ourselves beyone what we could ever imagine. I have had time to think of the great learning and stretching opportunity that this cancer will give to me, and I can honestly say, that I am excited about it.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. We love you Rob and are grateful that you are a true friend. Keep the faith and keep keeping on. Your the best.

    ReplyDelete