Thursday, April 15, 2010

Preparation

Now, before I begin with my story, I think it's appropriate to start here...
In January of 2009, Elder Richard G. Scott, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, came to Chesapeake, Virginia to preside and participate in Stake Conference. It was a remarkable experience to be taught by a special witness of Jesus Christ. He taught of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He shared insights. He shared his personal testimony of the divinity and reality of Jesus Christ and His atonement.
After the meetings of the weekend, my family, Miranda, and I had the unique priviledge of spending time with Elder Scott on a personal level. He came to my parents' home where we enjoyed lunch and conversation. Elder Scott took time to entertain the children with his artistry and creativity.


It was in his address on Sunday morning, however, that I learned the importance (again) of writing things down in a journal. During his talk, I made direct eye contact with him. He looked at me with those eyes that bore deep into the soul, and he told me (and everyone else there) to write down the things that I learn from the Spirit in order to show appreciation to the Lord for the things He teaches me. I felt that this message was directed at me.
Obviously, a year before my trial, I didn't understand why I had felt that way. Now, I do. I look back on my journey and am so grateful for the lessons that I have learned. More importantly, I am grateful that I have them written down so I can not only remember the details of my experiences in 100 years (yes, I am planning on getting really old!), but also so my great grandchildren can benefit from my experience. Just as Pres. Henry B. Eyring taught, the experiences that we have aren't for ourselves. We need to write them down.
I am grateful for that lesson.
Now, let's get into it...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment