Tuesday, May 4, 2010

PET Scan #1



Yuck!  If you ever have to get a PET Scan, I empathize with you.  Now, let me start by saying this.  When Ryan and I were little, my parents used to put us in the car, go to the car wash, and run it through the "spaghetti."  It would either freak us out, or put us to sleep.
The PET Scan does the same for me.  I sit in a little area by myself, and drink this chalky, nasty, radioactive stuff that feels like will kill me.  If I didn't know what it would do, I would say NOT WORTH IT!!
But then I get to lay down in that bed looking thing there, and I fall alseep in a matter of minutes!
This is where they check to see if I "light up."  The stuff that I drink and am injected with is attracted to the cancer cells like a magnet.  When they find them, they make them light up on the screen.  that tells the doctors how much cancer I have, and where it is.
After all of that, I have to stay away from little kids and pregnant people because I am "radioactive."  Matt loves that as his dream job is Jack Ryan and CIA stuff.  He thinks it would be so cool to be able to be picked up by satellites because he's radioactive.  I tell you what, the taste alone makes it NOT worth it!
I will have several of these over the next six months as I go through chemotherapy.  After that, from what I understand, i will have them every three months, and then that number will get smaller until in five years (I think), they will leave me alone and I can say officially that I am a CANCER SURVIVOR!  Just as long as I survive the drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment